Broadcast: 13 June 2015
Aristos cooks up a storm with freshly harvested black mussels from the Blue Lagoon Mussel Farm.
Chili Mussels Recipe
– Mother sauce
– 4 tins of crushed tomatoes
– 1 clove garlic
– Teaspoon of dry oregano
– ½ carrot, ½ Celery-blended or chopped fine splash olive oil.
– Cup of fresh basil leaves.
– 1kg of black mussels.
– Fetta Cheese
1) Sautee chopped garlic, carrot, and celery in oil for a couple of minutes, add the rest of ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
2) Once cooked, blend or put through a Mollie. (It is ok to make more sauce as you can use this mother sauce for pasta etc).
1) Remove beard from mussels by tugging on it.
2) Place mussels in a pot with lid, DO NOT ADD WATER. Place pot on high heat and in a couple of minutes, mussels will open and release their dirty water.
Tip water out the discharged water then repeat the process only once. Remove from heat and place mussels to one side.
3) In a large fry pane, sauté 2 cloves of chopped garlic and chili (adjust chili to personal taste) in splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
4) Add a splash of brandy and 3 ladles of mother sauce, once the sauce starts to bubble add 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese, then add the mussels and toss/mix well.
5) Serve with crusty bread and enjoy! (If you think your sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water or wine).