Broadcast: 13 June 2015
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
If you’re an Oprah Winfrey or Dr. Oz fan, then you will know that they’ve been raving about this super food that comes out of South America called Yacon. Trevor shows how this fruit can benefit weight loss and overall health.
- Also known as the Peruvian ground apple, the Yacon is a species of perennial daisy that was traditionally grown in the northern and Andes from Columbia to northern Argentina.
- The Yacon is known for the production of its crisp, sweet-tasting, tuberous roots.
- The Yacon can grow easily in kitchen gardens and in climates with only gentle frosts. It can grow ideally in southern regions of Australia, including Tasmania. It struggles to grow in New South Whales, Queensland and Northern Territory.
- The benefits of the Yacon is that once it gets into the lower part of your bowel, it provides a great environment for your friendly bacteria, so you’ll be absorbing things like calcium much easily.
- Yacon also slows down the speed of your stomach, so you do not feel as hungry as often.
If you’re looking to grow a Yacon in your garden, Trevor has some plants to spare. Visit the Facebook page and comment for a chance to get a Yacon Plant: