Segment: Pete’s Home-Made Pasta
Presenter: Peter Manifis
Air Date: 3rd November 2019
Pete shows you how to prepare delicious, home-made pasta.
- Add your flour onto the bench, and make a well in the middle. Crack your eggs into the well. For every 100g of flour, you want to add 1 egg.
- Add a pinch of sea salt, and then mix everything until it starts to form a dough.
- Only add as much flour as the eggs will let you take – it should be all of it, but it depends on the moisture in the flour.
- Use the heel of your hand to work the dough, ironing out the lumps.
- Let your dough rest for about 15-20 minutes with a piece of glad wrap over the top. This will let it relax and ease up, and will make sure it’s nice and soft.
- Cut your dough into 4-5 pieces.
- The semolina flour is a bit coarser – sprinkle it over your pasta dough.
- Have your pasta machine set on number 1, the biggest setting. Run the dough through, and then cover it in more semolina. Work it through the machine on the same setting until it is silky smooth.
- For rough cut pieces of pasta, roll it through on each of the setting numbers until number 8. Use the back of your hand so your fingers don’t run through the dough.
- When your dough is light and thin, you can cut rough triangles, sprinkle with semolina, and then set aside on the bench.
- This pasta will go with any sauce. To cook it, just add a tablespoon of salt to the water, and drop the pieces into it – it should only take around 20-30 seconds to cook.