Story: Health Tip - Asparagus
Presenter: Julie Meek
Air Date: 22 August 2021
There is so much more to asparagus than its vibrant colour and elegant spears. Julie shares her vast knowledge of this wonder veg and her top tips on how to best serve it for the family.
- Asparagus is naturally low in calories, making it an ideal snack or addition to any meal.
- It is an excellent source of Vitamin K; an essential nutrient involved in blood clotting and bone health.
- Half a cup of asparagus provides more than half the daily requirement of this fat-soluble vitamin.
- Asparagus is high in folate, which is essential for a healthy pregnancy and is vital in preventing heart disease.
- Asparagus contains full soluble and insoluble fibre important for a healthy gut.
- This vegetable naturally contains antioxidants which are important for lowering blood pressure, good heart health and anti-inflammatory processes.
- To prepare Asparagus: grill the spears in a pan with a little olive oil and just add a squeeze of lemon and some cracked black pepper – enjoy!