Story: Albany Hidden Gems
Presenter: Cassandra Charlick
Air Date: 19 September 2021
Albany is one of Western Australia’s oldest European settlements. Cassandra finds some fantastic dining options nestled amongst the historical beauty of the city.
- Gourmandise & Co resides in one of the city’s oldest buildings and is a favourite amongst locals and visitors.
- Gourmandise & Co transports its guests off to the French Countryside with the smell of freshly baked baguettes wafting out from the kitchen and all sorts of gourmet goodies lining the shelves.
- The London Hotel is now home to the whimsical and chic Parisian charm of Liberte. Liberte has romantic interiors and some of the best cocktail and wine bars in the state.
- The menu is vibrant and packs a French - Vietnamese flavour punch.
- Oranje Tractor Farm is a family-run winery just a short drive from the heart of the city.
- Oranje Tractor Farm focuses on sustainable winemaking, their organic and regenerative practices are driven by owners and farmers Murray and Pamela.
GOURMANDISE & Co – Teurgoule normande Recipe
- Difficulty - Easy
- Preparation - 15 mins
- Cooking time - 6 hours
- Total time - 6hrs 15mins
Ingredients for 6 people
- 2 l full cream milk
- 250 g risotto rice
- 150 g castor sugar
- 3 cardamon pods (whole)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 clove
- 3 star-anis (whole)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Start the preparation of your Teurgoule by placing rice in a large earthen-ware terrine.
- Add the sugar and all spices and mix with a spatula.
- Slowly add the milk so that the rice & spices stay at the bottom of your terrine.
- Add butter to mix (should float on surface).
- Place the terrine in oven pre-heated to 1500 C for 1 hour, then drop the temperature to 1100 C. Leave to bake for 5 hours.
- The mixture should be set (not liquid), with a golden crust. At Gourmandise & Co we serve our Teurgoule warm with seasonal poached fruit & maple syrup.
* If desired you can also add a vanilla bean to give more flavour to your Teurgoule.