Story: Is Gluten Free good for you?
Airdate: Ep 6, 2 June 2019
Presenter: Dr Shy Vishnumohan
Thinking about going Gluten Free because you think it might be healthier? Dr Shy has some good advice for you before you make the jump!
*This segment is for those of you who do not have coeliac disease or a gluten intolerance and are thinking of going GF!
- Did you know that most Gluten Free versions of pastas, cookies, cakes or bread contain highly refined rice flour or corn flour replacements? That means, less fibre and more sugar!
- Take this for example: a gluten free cookie is still a cookie! Although it might not contain gluten or refined sugar, it might have saturated fats and sugars from honey and coconut oil.
- Dr Shy says that going Gluten Free can actually increase your risk of Type 2 Diabetes and obesity.
- Dr Shy recommends we stop looking at the label and more at our overall diet and activity.
- Finding a happy healthy balance is the way to go!