Segment: Caroline’s Spring Fresh Salad
Presenter: Caroline Taylor
Air Date: 17th November 2019
- Collard greens
- Mandolin fennel
- Garlic Cloves
- Dijon Mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- Olive oil
- Shave your veggies – you can keep them raw, and this will allow them to keep their crunch
- Add the candied beetroot to the salad.
- For the dressing, start with a tablespoon of crushed garlic cloves, a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and the yolk of a pastured, free range egg.
- Mix your dressing, slowly adding some olive oil.
- When emulsifying your dressing, it is important to beat the oil into your mix, so you get a thick, glossy flavour.
- Add some lemon juice to loosen up the dressing.
- Add the dressing to your salad – don’t be too heavy handed.
- When plating your salad, start in the middle and try to get it as high as you can.
- To finish off the salad, add some labneh – this is yoghurt has been hung in a cheese cloth for a couple of hours. This gets rid of the water, and increases the flavour of the yoghurt.
- This makes a great alternative to mascarpone or cream cheese.
- If you like macademia or roasted hazelnuts, these can be added for these can be added for even more crunch.
- Fennel makes great a great garnish, so sprinkle that on top.