Segment: Caroline Taylor’s No-Waste Watermelon Salad
Presenter: Caroline Taylor
Air Date: 24th November 2019
Reducing your waste in the kitchen is not only beneficial for the planet, but will help you save money. This watermelon salad is a great dish for the summer.
- 1 whole watermelon
- Pickle juice
- 100g cream cheese
- 200g Danish feta
- ½ lemon
- 3 garlic cloves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Black pepper
- Black olives
- Remove the watermelon flesh from the rind – be sure to get as much of the pink off as possible.
- Carefully slice the rind on a mandolin. Be sure to get long, thin slices – this will give the best curls.
- Put the rind in a sanitised jar, and submerge it in pickle juice. Place some scrunched baking paper over the top.
- To make whipped feta, put your cream cheese, Danish feta, ½ lemon (juiced), 3 garlic cloves, chives, extra virgin olive oil and black pepper into a blender. Mix until it’s nice and fluffy.
- Slice your watermelon into chunks.
- To plate the dish, start by putting the watermelon on the plate. Then place small dollops of the whipped feta around the watermelon.
- Place the black olives onto the plate, then add the pickled watermelon rinds.
- Add some mint and chives to freshen the dish, then drizzle on some olive oil.
- Add some pepper to finish the dish. Don’t salt, as this will bring the water out of the watermelon.